Dental Fillings in Palatine, IL
No matter what you do, the risk of having cavities will always be there especially if you have a sweet tooth or fail to take proper care of your pearly whites. And the moment any small cavity shows up, it’s important to take action and have it filled right away. Maya Dental in Palatine, IL can apply dental fillings the moment you need them.
Types of Tooth Fillings from Maya Dental
Maya Dental uses different types of tooth fillings depending on what suits your needs the most.
- Silver Fillings (Amalgam Fillings): If your gums bleed easily, amalgam is usually the better choice. Amalgam fillings create a solid seal over any cavity, and does not require the tooth to be completely dry before the filling sets in.
- White Fillings (Composite Fillings): Because composite fillings blend in naturally with the rest of your teeth, they are the more popular choice. However, it requires the tooth to be completely dry before it sets, and the filling also stains over time especially if you are fond of dark-colored food and beverages.
A thorough assessment is always done before dental fillings are applied. Of course, all the pros and cons of each option will be discussed with you in detail because we want you to be part of the decision-making process at all times.
Filling Your Cavities
How is a cavity filled?
- Local anesthetic is applied to numb the area.
- The decayed area of the tooth is removed.
- The inside of the tooth will be shaped to accommodate the filling.
- Tiny holes may be etched into your teeth so that the bond is stronger.
- A quick polish is done.
After your teeth have been filled, there are a few things that you have to remember:
- The fillings are sensitive in the first week or two. Let us know right away if the sensitivity does not subside.
- The fillings may get too high or may need reshaping. If you feel pain around the area every time you bite down, let us know right away.
- Fillings eventually become discolored and could wear out. This could cause them to crack or break.
- Fillings can last for 5 to 10 years depending on what kind it is and how much wear it goes through.
Avoid bigger problems that come with bigger cavities. Let Maya Dental in Palatine, IL take care of your dental fillings for you. Call 847-358-9800 to set up an appointment.